Neal Anderson MSc QTLS UKCPReg APIOL is the Professional Standards Manager for the Institute of Outdoor Learning and a qualified teacher and UKCP Registered Psychotherapist and Supervisor in private practice. He began working in the outdoors with young people and adults over 25 years ago and has specialised in training and workforce development. His experience includes activity instruction, development training and outdoor centre management.
Dr Kaye Richards (CPsychol) is a Chartered Psychologist of the British Psychological Society, qualified outdoor professional, and Senior Lecturer in Outdoor Education at Liverpool John Moores University. She currently trains outdoor professionals (including teaching adventure and outdoor therapy), undertakes and supervisors research, and has diverse experience of working in different outdoor learning contexts and developing integrated outdoor therapy. She has worked at the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy facilitating national UK research activity in psychological therapies, developed the first adventure therapy intervention for the treatment of eating disorders in women in the UK, and is currently leading a new MA in Outdoor Therapy. She has led national and international activity in adventure therapy and outdoor education, published widely across these associated interdisciplinary areas, and is the convenor of the academic Journal of Adventure Education & Outdoor Learning.
Andy Hardie BA (hons) PGDip MBACP(Accred) APIOL is the Head Therapist at Venture Mòr and Operations Manager at Venture Trust. A Counsellor and Supervisor registered and accredited with the BACP, he has worked as a Therapist in private, public and third sector settings with groups, adults and young people. He has worked extensively with a focus on personal development with youth and marginalised groups in outdoor centres and on expedition programmes. Since 2015 he has been developing wilderness and outdoor therapy approaches in Scotland.
We would like to thank the following individuals and organisations for their recent dialogue, contribution, and support to some of the thinking and development of this statement:
- Dr Alison Greenwood, Dose of Nature, London.
- Dr Barbara Smith, CAMHS Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool.
- Chris Frampton, South Lakeland Mind Outdoor Counselling Service, Kendal Therapy.
- Hayley Marshall, The Centre for Natural Reflection, Derbyshire.
- Lesley Dougan, Liverpool John Moores University.
- Mark de Bernhardt Lane, Aquafolium
- Mike Strang, Venture Trust, Scotland.
- Dr Neil Bindemann & Dr Rob Lawson, British Society of Lifestyle Medicine
- Outdoor Therapy workshop participants at the 2018 UK Outdoor Learning Sector Conference
- Outdoor Mental Health Interventions launch participants at the 2019 Sector Strategic Forum
- Dr Steff Revell, Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
- Stephan Natynczuk, Spare Crab Adventure.