Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority new Local Plan
The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority is preparing a new Local Plan to cover the development period 2023-2040. We have reached the stage where we are able to consult on a set of ‘preferred polices’ to set out the Authority’s direction of travel.
The Local Plan is the vehicle for changing local planning policy, by for example responding to the latest evidence, responding to a change in priorities or in order to maintain conformity with national policy. The main changes being proposed are:
- to prepare a single Local Plan covering the whole of the post 2016 Yorkshire Dales National Park
- to set a housing target of 50 new dwellings per annum (850 over the plan period) spread across the various housing market areas
- to meet the target primarily on new allocated housing sites (to be determined) and from existing permissions
- A requirement for 50% affordable housing on sites in the south of the Park and 30% elsewhere
- A requirement for new development to demonstrate climate adaptation and low carbon measures
- A requirement that new development will deliver biodiversity net gain
- Flexibility for some new housing in the smaller settlements
- All new homes to be for permanent occupancy only
- Less flexibility for the conversion of traditional buildings to holiday uses
- A wider mix of uses on some business opportunity sites, to stimulate delivery
- Less flexibility for intensive agricultural development and more flexibility for nature friendly farming
- More flexibility for non-retail high street uses such as offices, food and drink, leisure, health services
- A new initiative to explore ‘rural estate development plans’
- Stronger protection of ancient woodland, ancient trees, water courses and the dark sky resource
You can view the consultation document here.
Further information can be found on the National Park Authority’s website pages here.
We haven’t yet reached a formal draft Local Plan stage so there is no justification, evidence, maps or explanation supporting the policies. Instead what we are inviting you to do is to comment on the direction the policies are taking and tell us whether you think they are appropriate or not to the issues we are facing and the degree of influence we may have through local planning policy.
We are asking you to send your comments before Friday 19 August 2022 by email to email@example.com or by writing to FREEPOST Yorkshire Dales (no need for a name or postcode).
The Authority will consider your comments and the consultation will inform the draft version of the Local Plan to be published next year.
Protecting your privacy
For further information on how the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority collects and uses your personal data, please view the Privacy Statement.
Thank you for helping in the preparation of the next Local Plan for this area.