Participants at the SOLD-OUT 2021 IOL North West Conference agreed that this was a great start to the year. Free to members of IOL, AHOEC, OEAP, BAPA; and students, this was a real community event and over 100 participants registered to be part of our first online conference.
"it was a fantastic day and amazing to connect so many different people together from across the region and further afield"
This year the IOL NW committee delivered several sessions and they were complimented by range of presentations that connected in with our LOOKING FORWARD theme. Whilst it is undoubtedly tough times within the sector, it was great to see and hear so many members sharing their experiences and hopes for the future. Many of the presentations are now live and can be viewed or downloaded as below - others to be added soon.
- Updates on #saveoutdoored, UKOutdoors voice, IOL Sector Developments and Current Projects - from Neal Anderson@ Institute for Outdoor Learning
- Sharing experience and good practice for working with schools - from Dan Mcdermott @ Newground
- Taking advantage of apprenticeships and government support - from Steve Randles @ Inspiring Learning
- Getting professional recognition and chartered status - from Neal Anderson@ Institute for Outdoor Learning
- The importance of emotional safety for individuals and groups - from Kirsty Weedon, trainee psychodrama psychotherapist
- Understanding Teacher’s Perceptions of Outdoor Learning - An Exploration in Word Clouds - from Sam Lee @ University of Leeds
- The ecosystem needed for a progression in outdoor learning - from Dave Harvey, PhD researcher @ University of Cumbria
- Reducing complacency - human factors within a safety regime - from Richard Tarran @ Range Advantage
- Discussion on how we can work together & shape the future of outdoor learning? - from Neal Anderson, IOL NW Chair
“I loved being able to dip in and out of sessions throughout the day”
“really practical and relevant to my current work"
At the close of the day the IOL NW AGM was its usual fast-paced event and Neal Anderson was re-elected to serve as chair of IOL NW. At their next meeting, the IOL NW committee will be discussing ways we can all work together to make a positive impact for outdoor learning in the region. Please do let us have your thoughts and views and help us shape plans for the next year.