Head of Outdoor Education
Cokethorpe School, Witney, Oxfordshire
Monday 19 April 2021
Details on how to apply can be found below.
The School: Cokethorpe School is an independent day school for some 660 boys and girls and employs over 200 members of staff in both teaching and non-academic roles. Founded in 1957, the School is set in beautiful parkland just outside Witney, on the edge of the Cotswolds, and is a convenient distance from Oxford.
Cokethorpe prides itself on creative, dynamic and innovative teaching and its vibrant community atmosphere makes for both a stimulating and enjoyable environment in which to work. We employ dedicated and skilled staff who the School in turn provides with professional development opportunities.
We are looking to appoint a dynamic and pro-active individual who will take existing activities and put them together as part of a coherent programme whilst looking to expanding it into a wider commercial offering. The successful candidate would be expected to oversee a number of areas across the School such as but not limited to, Duke of Edinburgh, kayaking, sailing, climbing, shooting, summer camp, and World Challenge.
This role is a full-time support staff position with a competitive salary working all year round and not term time only.
• Develop structured outdoor activities and leadership programme with challenge and progression, accessible to all members of the School
• Coordinate the staffing of these activities
• Work towards the production of a five-year development plan for the programme
• Develop opportunities to promote and coordinate the use of the School’s facilities by outside organisations and institutions on a commercial basis
• Develop maintain and monitor operating procedures and risk assessments
• Liaise regularly with the Director of Sport, working collaboratively to offer excellence across all disciplines.
• Introduce a variety of AOBs based around skills development through outdoor and adventurous activities throughout the School
• Develop team-building activities for all pupils
• Manage the outdoor education budget
• Implement systems for control and checking School equipment and manage the outdoor activities storage including purchase, issue, maintenance of write-off items
• Check staff qualifications/experience and organise training/CPD
• Encourage and mentor staff to gain outdoor qualifications
• Arrange First-Aid training in School for all appropriate staff
• Build on the current portfolio of residential trips and support trip leaders
• Develop local opportunities for adventurous activities
• Offer support to Games and Co-Curricular programmes
• Assess and commission external providers
• Coordination of the School’s Summer Activity Camps
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with pupils, parents and staff.
• An ability to inspire a love of learning of outdoor education.
• High standards of written and oral communication.
• A good level of computer competence/skill.
• Willingness to contribute to the wider School life including the sports programme, co-curricular commitments, the activities programme and the tutoring and House system.
• Nationally recognised qualifications within the Outdoor Education world.
• First Aid qualification
Interested and qualified candidates should submit electronically the documents listed below to email@example.com before the closing date: midday on Monday 19 April 2021.
• A covering letter addressed to Mr Gareth Sheer, Director of Co-Curricular
• A completed Cokethorpe School support staff application form
• Personal CVs are not required
Cokethorpe Educational Trust Ltd is registered in England and Wales at the above address. Registration Number: 767293 Charity Registration Number: 309650