Activity Adventure Guide
Adventure 24/7 Limited
Salary: £25,113 - £25,920
Closing Date: 31/08/2020
Contact Information: HR Department by email on email@example.com
Adventure 24/7 works with young people who are experiencing complicated life circumstances. Through the provision of an activity programme and holiday, which is aimed at supporting personal and social development, we introduce young people to new opportunities and skills to help develop their confidence, motivation and life skills, as well as giving them the ability to take time for themselves, to reflect and to consider making positive change to their lives.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF POST
As an Activity Adventure Guide, you will work in a small team around groups of up to 5 young people following the activity programme that is scheduled. You will ensure your primary focus will be upon assisting young people in a variety of activities to maximise their learning opportunities. This will include assisting young people in their personal and lifestyle development, and providing a supportive, nurturing and safe environment whilst they are in your care.
You will have a positive approach to working with some complex and challenging young people outdoors; inspiring them to set and overcome their own challenges, raising their aspirations and empowering them to achieve. You will be able to pro-actively and positively respond to and support situations where young people may experience conflict.
Working closely with the Activity Co-ordinator and the team you will develop, promote and deliver a range of fun, memorable and tailored adventurous activities, experiences and holidays. This requires you to have flexibility to be away on residential trips for short to long periods of time working within your contracted hours.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities in Relation to Young People
· To provide a high standard of supervision for the young people you are responsible for.
· To ensure that all aspects of a young person’s physical, emotional, social and intellectual needs are met as individuals and within the setting, actively assisting each young person towards achieving a realistic level of success during their time with us whilst gaining their active involvement in the programme.
· To ensure that all young people receive a balanced and nutritious diet.
· Responding pro-actively and positively to behavioural and emotional needs.
· To lead activities, appropriate to your qualifications, training and experience.
· To encourage the young people to participate in the activities.
· To participate in activities as either a leader or participant as appropriate.
· To be alert to signs of distress or abuse, and to ensure young people are monitored and protected.
· To provide a positive role model to young people and to maintain high professional standards at all times.
· To assist in the motivation of young people to take an active part in decision making and be involved as much as possible to the design and delivery of the service they receive.
· Ensure the safe storage and handling of young people’s medication, including meticulous medication records.
· To participate in achieving high standards of cleanliness, laundry and all appropriate housekeeping duties, eg camp site, mobile home and the like.
· To maintain activity equipment in line with Health & Safety guidelines.
· To safeguard young people from risk or harm.
Responsibilities in Relation to Team
· To work co-operatively as part of a team and to provide support to colleagues as required.
· To attend and contribute to monthly staff meetings, supervisions and training events (see below regarding commitment).
· To receive regular supervision and annual appraisals from senior staff members and take an active role in this process.
· To keep the Activity Co-ordinator informed of all significant events.
· To participate in duty rotas which include bank holidays and weekend hours.
· To carry out assigned tasks, as designated by the Activity Co-ordinator when not engaged directly with young people, appropriate to skills, qualifications and experience.
· Alongside team staff, ensure record keeping and administration responsibilities of the team are met, including, young people’s daily summary records, daily session plan form, equipment usage logs, petty cash and any relevant accident and incident forms.
· To provide personal documentation including, qualifications, driving licence, phone numbers etc.
· To read, understand and comply with all Adventure 24/7 policies and procedures; especially, child protection, outdoor education and adventurous activities guidance, risk assessments etc.
· Ensure all risk assessments, paperwork and relevant checks for all activities and accommodation have been carried out.
Responsibilities in General
· To lead by example.
· To promote and enforce the policies and procedures to ensure high standards of safe working practices at all times.
· To ensure a safe working/living environment in respect of accommodation, properties and vehicles, including driving of vehicles.
· To take responsibility for looking after equipment within your qualifications and experience.
· To complete a 6-month induction and probationary period.
· To take responsibility and play an active part in your own continuous professional development (CPD).
· To fully participate in external/internal training and actively pursue relevant qualifications.
· Managing your time effectively to include study within your own time.
· Maintain accurate time keeping.
· To demonstrate an understanding and commitment to equality and diversity.
· To undertake such other duties, appropriate to the overall purpose of the job, as may be required.
Full job description