The Anderton Centre
We are currently looking to recruit a passionate and professional additional Chief Instructor to join the team, and work alongside the existing Chief Instructor here at the Anderton Centre.
The Anderton Centre is Lancashire Outdoor Activities Initiative (LOAI) residential outdoor activity and conferencing facility and is part of the University of Bolton Group. The Centre is situated in the shores of the beautiful Rivington Reservoir in the heart of the West Pennie Moors.
The Centre is only a short drive from the motorway networks, so is able to serve many regions of the North West and the location boast superb water facilities and a rural setting ideal for a wide range of land activities. Since 2009 LOAI a registered charity has been solely responsible for the facility.
The purpose of the role is too organise and supervise the Centre’s instructing team, delegating tasks where appropriate, to ensure all activities are delivered safely and to an extremely high standard. The post holder will also become part of the leadership team and be involved with the development of the organisation and be one of the Centre’s Duty Managers.
Applicants must be aware of the Anderton Centre’s rural setting and take note.
- The Anderton centre is, 0.8 Miles from the nearest Bus stop (regular 125 route).
- The road and driveway are mostly unlit and without pavements.
- If you are dependent on public transport, please take this into account when applying for this position.
- Free car parking and cycle storage available on site.
This is a unique opportunity for the right candidate to play an active role in the future success of the Charity, and in return we offer a fantastic setting and great opportunities for continued professional development.
For an informal chat about the role, please contact David Germain – Head of Centre 01257 484220
Closing Date 13th September
To apply for the role please send in a current CV, and covering letter outlining suitability.
FTO David Germain email@example.com
Chief Instructor Grade: £24,500
Responsible to: Assistant Manager
Responsible for: All Contracted Instructors & Freelance Instructors
Hours of Duty: 37.5 hours per week, 5 days over 7, including evenings & weekends. Seasonal nature of the work dictates an expectations, more hours will be completed during the summer months, which will be taken back in Lieu
Qualifications Required: A range of Outdoor Activity Qualifications at least one should be at a Senior Level (MIA, RYA SI, BC Level 3)
To organise and supervise the Centre’s instructing team, delegating tasks where appropriate, to ensure all activities are delivered safely and to an extremely high standard. The post holder will also become part of the leadership team and be involved with the development of the organisation and be one of the Centre’s Duty Managers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below together with such other duties falling within the purview of the post as may be required.
- 1 Responsible for the booking, programming and management of the Instructing team.
- 2 To deliver daily morning meetings and other meetings as necessary, deputising for the assistant manager.
- 3 Ensure all the pre-course communication, programme creation and pre-visit documentation for all visitors by affective communication and forward planning.
- 4 Responsible for all equipment safety checks, staff records, qualifications.
- 5 Collective commitment to maintain a high standard of safety and safeguarding across all our work.
- 6 The Chief Instructor is expected to set and maintain the standards outlined in the Company’s Standard and Local Operating Procedures; attitude to work, company equipment, personal presentation, customer service and company ethos relating to our team and clients
- 7 Inducting all instructional staff, and develop a CPD schedule, completing session observations.
- 8 Being responsible for line reports including dealing in the first instance with any grievances and disciplinary matters
- 9 Develop activities that for fill the charitable aims of the organisation
- 10 Contribute to the strategic planning and direction of the organisation.
- 11 To undertake any other duty deemed reasonable as required by the Head of Centre.
- 1 To ensure the service is promoted efficiently, effectively and in keeping with the Charity’s image.
- 2 Ensure customer care is the major priority for service provision.
- 3 To ensure high levels of professional conduct always with particular reference to punctuality, dress, presentation and administration.
- 4 The post holder must carry out their duties with full regard to LOAI’s Equal Opportunities and Health And Safety Policies.
Assessment Criteria - Personal Characteristics
Inspiring, dynamic, energetic, enthusiastic, must enjoy working with people and be customer focused AF/I
Excellent communication skills AF/I
A commitment to a high standard of customer care. AF/I
Proactive, willing to take initiative and identify improvements and changes in process and practice AF/I
A positive attitude towards teamwork. AF/I
Knowledge & Qualifications
Hold and at least one Senior NGB coaching qualification from the below:
- Mountain Instructor Award
- RYA Senior Instructor
- BCU / UKCC Paddle Sports Coach Level 3 or above
Hold a valid first aid certificate
Good understanding of NGB initiatives & coaching practices AF/I
Knowledge of Health and Safety requirements for adventurous activities AF/I
Experience of relevant administration work eg lesson plans, evaluations, risk assessments AF/I
Experience of facilities management AF/I
Willingness to undertake future training; and ability to adapt to new systems/ ways of working I
Able to work unsocial hours, including evening and weekends I
Assessment Criteria - Skills
Good standard of written and numeration skills AF/I
Knowledge & Qualifications
A wide range of National Governing Body Awards
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
- British Canoeing Coach
- Mountain Leader
- D of E Assessor
- Bush Craft Practitioner
- D1 Minibus Endorsement
- +E towing Endorsement
Experience of delivering high ropes activities, problem solving, Bush Craft.
Be familiar with Education key stages and GCSE Requirements AF/I
KEY: I = Interview, C = Certificate, AF = Application Form