YMCA Fairthorne Manor
Are you passionate about delivering high quality outdoor learning to children and young people? Do you want to work with a fun, supportive team? Then we have the role for you!
YMCA Fairthorne Group are looking to recruit a full time Senior Instructor based at Fairthorne Manor.
YMCA Fairthorne Manor works offers a unique outdoor activity venue set in the heart of the countryside. Considered one of Hampshire’s hidden gems, the 83 acre site comprises sweeping grounds, mature woodland, a lake and access to the upper reaches of the River Hamble.
We have over 20,000 children and young people visiting each year, primarily through our outdoor education and play based programmes where we engage children 4 years and upwards on both a residential and day basis. We encourage people to build positive relationships, foster confidence and self-esteem and provide an opportunity to try new challenges. To achieve this, we use a wide variety of outdoor activities including canoeing, climbing, abseiling, archery and high ropes as well as a fun and enjoyable residential programme.
Our vision is ‘to be a leader in transforming communities so that all children, young people and families can truly belong, contribute and thrive’, and we’d love you to be a part of it!
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To provide a high standard of instruction across a range of different outdoor activities for people from 2 years old to adult, with differing abilities, including those with special needs.
- Implement and review good practice with development of instructional standards through mentoring and being a role model
- Provide exceptional customer care whilst mentoring others to do the same
- To fulfil the ‘Duty Manager’ role, linking with groups prior to their arrival, ensuring everything is properly prepared and then ensuring their welfare for the duration of their visit. This involves staying at Fairthorne Manor outside normal working hours during duty weeks and this responsibility is allocated on a rota system.
- To take responsibility for the maintenance, safety and development of given areas and activities within the department, including its equipment.
- To take responsibility for equipment checks and keep robust records of these tasks
- To supervise apprentice activity leaders and volunteers as required and as reasonable to this position. Taking the form of activity delivery supervision and formal professional supervision and mentoring
- To support the Programme Manager in reviewing the quality and effectiveness of our programme and its delivery to ensure we continue to meet the needs of children and young people using our site.
- To deliver elements of the staff training programme as appropriate, and contribute towards its overall development, including appropriate delivery and assessment of NVQ and other qualifications.
- To design, plan and deliver short term and long term development training for internal and external clients
- To provide general support to the Programme Department, ensuring its smooth running and to aid the development and growth of the organisation.
- To work with the Programme Manager to produce business plans for additional activities for the centre
- To act in the interests of your own safety & the safety of others at all times.
- To support the Programme Manager in the ongoing process of risk assessment review
- To perform any reasonable request that is deemed suitable by the Programme Manager.
- To deputise for the Programme Manager on a designated basis
- To follow YMCA Fairthorne Group’s Safe Guarding, Child Protection and Safer Working practice policies at all times. Taking any concerns regarding a health or/and wellbeing to your line manager or senior management.
What you’ll bring:
- At least 3 years experience working in outdoor education or similar environment.
- Minimum of Level 3 Award in Education and Training
- Minimum of UKKCC Level 1 in coaching Paddlesports / BC Instructor
- Minimum 16-hour First Aid Certificate
- Extensive experience of working with children and young people.
- Current knowledge of education sector and outdoor learning with other groups
- Full UK Driving licence.
- DofE leader
- First Aid Instructor
- PPE Inspectors Course
- Any other NGB Instructing qualifications
- Experience using Microsoft Office
- Experience of supervising staff or volunteers.
- Experience of delivering and assessing NVQ or other qualifications
- CAVA or TAQA.
It would be amazing if you also had…:
- A genuine enthusiasm for the work of the organisation.
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Outstanding ability to communicate well and engage a wide range of people, including children, staff and group leaders.
- An Outstanding ability and willingness to relate positively to customers (many of whom are children) and staff.
- An aptitude for supervising a team of activity staff and volunteers.
- An ability to meet deadlines.
- An ability to project-manage oneself and others in tandem
- A committed approach to the development of the activity programme at Fairthorne Manor.
- An ability to deal with issues effectively and calmly as they arise.
- An ability to use own initiative.
- A sound understanding of effective customer service
What we offer:
- 40 hours per week (normally 5 days in seven. Weekend and evening work are included and additional days work may be required with time off given in lieu)
- £18,000 to £22,000 per annum
- 6 month fixed term contract
- 25 days holiday, increases with length of service
- Great investment in personal and professional development
- 50% discounted Early Years childcare
- Welcoming, caring and supportive culture
- £50 refer a friend scheme
- Involvement and participation in community events
- Daycamps discount and membership benefits (camps, parties, events)
- Flexible contracts available to be discussed
If you are looking to join our team and meet the criteria above, please apply.
For further information on any of our posts, contact our Human Resources Department on 02382 145463 or email email@example.com stating the post you are interested in.
The YMCA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. The successful applicant will undertake an enhanced disclosure via Disclosure and Barring Service and subject to two references.
Registered Charity 1090981.