Course Leader, Outdoor Adventure
£22,000 to £30,000 DOE
Location: Brighton (Newman College / Hove Lagoon)
Reports to: Head of Education
Working Pattern: Term Time / Monday to Friday 08.30 to 17:30.
Parents Evenings and Open Days on an ad-hoc basis.
Closing Date: Monday 17th June 2019 (Midnight)
Interviews to be held: Tuesday 25th June 2019
Rockley Education is seeking a highly motivated Course Leader to establish and teach Level 3 BTEC Sport Outdoor Adventure at our new educational centre in Brighton. This is an exciting opportunity to join the Rockley Education team and be a key person in leading and developing our new programme to be responsible for retention, achievement, success and attendance rates. Our new Brighton Education Programme is being run in partnership with Newman College and Lagoon Watersports.
Rockley Education is part of the Rockley group, established in 1976 and a UK Limited company. We are the UK’s premier provider of watersports training and holidays with 3 UK training centres, 2 of which located on the shores of Poole Harbour in Dorset on England’s south coast and 3 outdoor adventure centres located in southwest France.
Our unique BTEC Level 3 Sports programme has been running for the past ten years at our flagship watersports centre on the shores of Poole Harbour. This programme currently has over 100 students registered across year 12 / 13 and is tailor-made to enable students to build a career in the outdoors industry specialising in watersports. The course is fully linked to professional development and our team of practical instructors offers students the opportunity to complete RYA (Royal Yachting Association) training and instructor development alongside their academic BTEC programme. Work experience is also a key part of the course and all students have the opportunity to complete a period of work experience at one of our French centres in the summer term.
With a keen interest to now rolling this BTEC programme out nationally, we are looking to recruit a Course Leader who is an experienced teacher with knowledge of BTEC to join and establish the Brighton team. You will need to demonstrate a flexible approach and excellent organisational and interpersonal skills. You will be a clear communicator with strong administrative skills and excellent problem-solving skills. As this role will require partnership work, it is vital that you are an effective team player.
You will be required to hold a relevant degree and teaching qualification and be able to demonstrate significant successful experience of teaching BTEC Sport at Further Education level. You will be fully involved in the development of the curriculum and the marketing and promotion of the BTEC programme and as such will be required to demonstrate a desire to progress and develop the course as it grows.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing company and an educational team that shares a real passion and enthusiasm for teaching and learning. We would welcome applications from enthusiastic and versatile teachers who have an ability to inspire our students to reach their true potential and exceed expectations. With a passion for vocational teaching and an imaginative and creative approach to learning delivery, the right candidate has the real opportunity to flourish and develop in this unique and vibrant teaching environment.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Clare Hicks (Head of Education) on 01202 677272
Successful duties will include but are not limited to:
- Be responsible for retention, achievement, success and attendance rates
- Be responsible for the standards and quality processes of the programme, such as internal verification and BTEC standardisation
- Plan, teach and develop a variety of modules from the BTEC Sport suite of programmes and pathways
- Lead, inspire and support learners with a variety of student needs
- Provide effective feedback to support learners and ensure their development and achievement
- Provide ideas and contribute to the design, delivery, future planning and development of the vocational courses and Rockley Education
- Act as a Rockley representative at parents' evenings, taster days, open days and careers or education conventions and fairs
- Organise, and when needed, participate in relevant visits, field trips, and residentials
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Hold a relevant degree / professional qualification or equivalent, preferably in Sport or a related subject
- Hold a relevant teaching qualification (e.g. PGCE/Cert Ed/DTTLS)
- Ability to deliver a high standard of teaching, learning, and assessment
- Experience of teaching BTEC Level 3 Sport
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with students, colleagues, and parents.
- Flexible / can do attitude to work
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- An interest in Watersports and or Outdoor Education
- RYA qualifications, such as Senior Instructor, Coach Assessor, Powerboat Instructor, First Aid Trainer
- Driving Licence / Mini Bus / Midas Licence
- Experience of teaching BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport (Outdoor Adventure)
- Experience of providing tutorial support and pastoral/guidance to students
- Experience of safeguarding practices
- Commitment to personal career and professional development
- A commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusivity
Due to the nature of this role, there will be a requirement to travel to our main centre in Poole for training, professional development events, quality assurance, and standardisation activities.
For more information and a full job specification, please follow the link below:
https://rockleywatersportsltd.peoplehr.net/Handlers/RichTextEditorImageDownload.ashx?file=/Course Leader Brighton Sept 2019.pdf
To Apply online see https://www.rockley.org/about/join-the-team/vacancies