Adventure Learning Tutor
Bryntysilio Outdoor Education Centre
Starting salary: £18,000 pro rata
Walsall Schools Camp Trust (Llangollen)
Contract: Full Time (term time only)
This role provides an exciting opportunity for a qualified outdoor instructor to take a key role in the delivery of outdoor learning opportunities to school children. We are able to offer accommodation to the right candidate (although living in is not a requirement of the post). If you are considering applying, please feel free to contact us as we will happily discuss the post prior to your application if you wish.
Bryntysilio sits in beautiful countryside close to Llangollen. With the Escarpment, Clwydian range, Berwyns, River Dee and Welsh coast all accessible and providing outstanding venues for our work with children. The mountains of Snowdonia are within an hour’s drive. A charitable organisation, the Walsall Schools Camp Trust believes that every child should have the opportunity to experience adventures as part of their education and development. Our aim is to is find and bring out the potential in the individuals who visit us, impacting positively upon their lives as they return home and to school.
Our day to day work is predominantly with Key Stage 2 pupils with aspects of Key stage 3 work which requires Adventure Learning Tutors to confidently and competently lead a group of children in widely ranging outdoor environments. This involves canoeing, climbing, mountain walking, and other adventurous activities.
What we can offer you:
- The chance to join an organisation with a clear emphasis on offering disadvantaged learners enriching experiences
- A key role in a supportive team
- Commitment to your professional development
- A superb and inspiring location in which to work
We are looking for:
- An enthusiastic and inspirational instructor with commitment and drive, able to facilitate exciting and safe learning in a wide range of outdoor venues.
- A well organized individual.
- A team player, with excellent interpersonal skills
- An individual who is passionate about sharing their love of adventure learning in the outdoors with young people
- A reflective practitioner keen to develop their own strengths and abilities
- Summer Mountain Leader award
- Rock Climbing Instructor/SPA
- UKCC Level 1 Coach with 3-star Canoe and Kayak or UKCC Level 2 Coach
- First aid certificate
- PCV or D1 driving license
- British Mountain Bike Coach level 1
- Star Canoe Leader/ 4 Star Kayak Leader
- Trailer license
We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of all children. This post is subject to a DBS check.
- Teaching and delivery in a school or outdoor learning centre
- Developing and delivering educational programmes specifically for school children linking outdoor learning to learning at school
- Experience of customer-focused service delivery
- Communicating clearly, written and orally
- Working on your own initiative as well as part of a team
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse customer group
- Application of risk assessment and health and safety procedures
Knowledge and Understanding:
- Adventure and Outdoor Learning and the benefits to children and young people
- Best practice and safety management in Adventure Learning, including evaluating, writing and updating Risk Assessments
- Equality and diversity in the workplace
- Monitoring and evaluation to develop others
Applications and enquiries:
For enquiries Tel: 07533 204751 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send a supporting statement/letter stating why you would like to be considered for this post and your suitability along with a CV to: