Casual Outdoor Education Instructor
Pendarren House Outdoor Education Centre
Grade: Based on Unqualified Teachers scale; £13.61 per hour
Closing Date: Thursday 25 April 2019
Interview Date: Tuesday 7 May 2019
About the role
Pendarren House Outdoor Education Centre is looking for a Casual Outdoor Education Instructor to work with a committed team of teachers and instructors in delivering a high quality residential outdoor education experience to young people from the London Borough of Haringey.
Work is offered as and when; the Centre is busy year round so this does include work during the winter months.
As well as leading a variety of on and off site activity sessions the post holder will share the evening and overnight duties (typically once a week). There is an additional allowance for overnight duties. The majority of the work is Monday to Friday during term time, but does include some work during school holidays and occasional weekends, and work with other groups e.g. out of borough, families and adults.
Where possible work is offered for the duration of the course, which is usually Monday lunchtime to Friday lunchtime with one evening/overnight duty. The work is paid at an hourly rate.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is enthusiastic, motivated and able to deliver safe, enjoyable and inspirational sessions in a variety of activities.
- Has experience of working with young people in a residential outdoor education centre.
- Has a minimum of two relevant NGB’s from two activity disciplines (e.g. ML/WGL/HML; SPA/RCI/CWA with abseil; LCL1; BCU UKCC level 2)
- Has experience of leading groups on adventurous and environmental activities.
- Is trained in first aid
- Over 21, has experience of driving minibuses (holding the D1) with at least 2 years driving experience, clean licence
- Has excellent communication skills in order to work effectively with a wide range students
- Understands the value of residential outdoor education and how it can positively impact on the development of young people
Other Requirements / How to apply
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. An enhanced disclosure check with the DBS will be undertaken.
To apply please go to www.pendarren.org/downloads where you can find further information and an application form. Return application forms to Pendarren House OEC before Thursday 25 April 2019.