Contract: Full time, Permanent
Salary: Salary plus accommodation package
Location: Abernethy Ardeonaig
What is Abernethy?
Abernethy is a group of 4 outdoor adventure centres in Scotland, a bunkhouse in Argyll and an additional winter training base in the Swiss Alps. For nearly 50 years, the Abernethy Trust has been providing exceptional residential opportunities for primary schools, high schools, colleges and groups from all over the UK. We are a Christian organisation with a team of over 100 people, some full time and some part time, some here as a gap year and some as a long term career. Our staff team is motivated by their Christian faith and we aim to create the very best experiences for each and every guest, ensuring the best hospitality and customer service possible in some of the most stunning (and occasionally remote) locations in Scotland. Most of our opportunities are on a “live-in” basis and there is a great community atmosphere at our centres. Accommodation, meals and a salary are provided and there is the option to make use of the centre facilities and to visit the other Abernethy centres.
Should I apply?
Abernethy's vision is to provide exceptional outdoor adventure experiences where our guests can discover more about themselves, others and God. This role is essential to our ministry as our outdoor instructors are key to providing a safe, educational and enjoyable experience for our guests. We are looking for a skilled, committed team player to assist in the day-to-day delivery of our excellent activity programmes. First and foremost, we are looking for people who want to serve God in this kind of outreach, so your Christian Faith will be evident in your life.
You might feel that you are interested in this vacancy but don't yet possess the relevant training, in this instance, you could take a look at our Instructor Training Courses.
Key Tasks of an Instructor at Abernethy Ardeonaig:
- Delivering high quality outdoor activity instruction both on & off site for our guests, ensuring they are fun, safe, educational & enjoyable
- Working with the other instructors to coordinate groups that are in residence
- Helping to maintain our kit and activity equipment
- Actively involved in ‘Explore’ sessions, sharing our Christian faith
- Being flexible to work evenings and weekends with our residential guests on a rota basis
Skills & Qualifications (Essential) – We are looking for someone who is/has:
- An enthusiastic, outdoor-loving, team-player who wants to share their faith.
- A broad range of NGBs including some of: Archery Award, BOF Award, First Aid, DofE Assessor/Supervisor, High Ropes Course Award, Moderate Water Endorsement, Mountain Leader, RYA Dinghy Instructor, RCI/SPA, UKCC Level 2 Paddlesports (either Canoe or Kayak).
- A positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
- A motivated person who demonstrates initiative!
- Previous relevant work experience and experience of working as part of a team
- A sound understanding of risk management and risk benefits
- A full UK driving licence with D1+E (minibus & trailer) entitlement on licence (desirable)
- Full-board single accommodation provided, or live-out allowance, and paid annual leave (30 days per annum)
- Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment
- Opportunities to take an active role within the life of our local church and Christian youth work
- You will be living as part of a Christian community in a beautiful part of Scotland
In the context of a Christian team, who are an intentional faith-based community, it is an Occupational Requirement, in terms of the Equality Act 2010, that this post is filled by a practising Christian.
Find out more:
To watch a short video about working for Abernethy, see the following link:
For a full job description:
How to Apply:
Contact Stephanie Walling
T: 01479 818 001