Apprentice Activity Instructor
Reports to: Assistant Manager
Blackland Farm, Sussex / Foxlease, Hampshire
Salary: Your salary for the position is £5.31 per hour.
We are committed to ensuring that our staff have a good work-life balance and offer a flexible working environment. You will be working 5 days over 7 including weekends and working times can vary and be quite late especially for events.
Overall purpose of job
The Apprentice Activity Instructor will assist with the instruction of sessions and begin to take responsibility for leading once qualifications and experience is gained.
Whilst undertaking your apprenticeship, you will be working towards a Level 2 NVQ certificate in Activity Leadership and Customer Service and be required to complete assignments within set deadlines.
Main areas of responsibility
- To assist with the instruction of groups of people of all ages in a range of activities, including archery and problem solving, as determined by the Line Manager and in accordance with training and qualifications (for lists of activities, please see information on each site).
- To run activity sessions as and when qualifications and experience allows.
- To assist with the planning and delivery of training sessions; ensuring they are in line with agreed objectives, consistent with the physical abilities of the group and the National Governing Body objectives.
- To communicate effectively with customers of all ages.
- To ensure all participants have a safe and enjoyable experience; so they will want to visit again!
- To complete any documentation required relating to group sessions; e.g. individual record cards, assessments and any other relevant documentation.
- To maintain facilities and equipment, including storage, in line with defined standards.
- To test equipment prior to use, and at regular intervals, to ensure safe and effective operation.
- To ensure that logs and accurate written records are regularly updated in connection with relevant activities.
- To appropriately deal with and report any safety hazards to the line manager at the earliest opportunity.
- To ensure that first aid/medical assistance is called at the earliest opportunity (or administered if you are first aid qualified to do this) if an accident occurs during a session, in collaboration with the adult responsible for the group.
- To ensure that any accidents are recorded in the accident book and that a full report is made of the circumstances surrounding it, so that preventative measures can be taken for the future.
- To be aware the centre represents the public face of Girlguiding and to conduct themselves and all activities in a manner which promotes and enhances the organisation’s safeguarding policies, image and reputation.
- Desirably, candidates should have two NGB qualifications, or a recognised equivalent (BCU/UKCC Level 1 Assessed, SPA Assessed or GNAS Leader Award) in either kayaking/open-canoeing/climbing or archery or significant experience that will enable the job holder to gain one or more of these qualifications in the early part of their employment.
- Please still apply for this role if you do not hold these qualifications as our sites will put you through the relevant training in order to obtain these.
- To have a first aid qualification and/or current National Pool lifeguard qualification.
- To undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required to fulfil the duties of this post.
- For insurance purposes applicants must be a minimum of 18 years old.
- Ability to handle customers positively and sensitively
- Ability to build positive relationships with customers and staff
- Ability to successfully participate in team working
- Ability to resolve problems or refer them.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Previous experience of working in the camping/leisure sector
- Working for a public or voluntary sector
- Understanding of working in an equal opportunities environment and its impact on the employment
- First aid qualification and/or current National Pool Lifeguard qualification
- 2 NBG qualifications or recognised equivalent (BCU, SPA, UKCC Level 1, GNAS)
Download the full job brochure