Camas Outdoor Centre
Organisation: Iona Community
NEEDED: Volunteers to work 2020 season at Camas on the Wild West of Scotland!
Camas is a unique outdoor centre offering weekly residential programmes. Based in a wild and beautiful isolated bay in South West Mull, right next to the Hebridean Sea and white sand beaches with activities on our doorstep. We provide nurturing outdoor experiences and a sense of community for young people from some of the UK’s most disadvantaged areas. We are looking for volunteers who are willing to give things a go, prepared to live in a very close-knit community and who can offer real hospitality and warmth to centre guests.
What it involves:
- Living and working together as part of a team to provide a welcoming, safe and wonderful place for groups coming to Camas
- Leading and assisting adventurous outdoor activities such as climbing, kayaking, wild camping, and coasteering
- Working in the organic garden to help produce lots of fresh vegetables and salads
- Tending to the newly planted native woodland
- Doing maintenance jobs to help keep the buildings and surroundings in good condition
- Enabling young people to explore and discover a relationship with nature and the world around them
- An off-grid simple lifestyle
- Facilitating space with groups to reflect & make meaning together from our shared & individual experiences
We offer you:
Training and support
- 1 ½ days off at the weekend plus a half-day off during the week
- 2 weeks holiday plus £ 75-holiday allowance (3 weeks for those volunteering over the full season)
- £30 allowance a week, full board and lodging including own room or wooden hut
- Individual experiences
When is it?
- Longer-term volunteers – late March to mid-October
- Shorter-term volunteers – mid-April to early September
(please note it is essential for volunteers to be available for staff training from 12 April to 25th April)
Take a look at what we got upto in the 2019 season:
The Camas Diary – http://thecamasdiary.blogspot.co.uk/
A full job description and application form can be found in the volunteer's section of the Iona Community website, volunteering at Camas
All applications must be on the Community’s application form (CVs are not accepted).
For questions or queries call us: +44(0)1681 700367 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
All Camas Staff will need to be or become Members of Scotland’s Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme or provide equivalent proof prior to taking up their post at Camas.
Iona Community is a Scottish registered charity SC003794 and Equal Opportunities Employer.