Adventure Centre Coordinator (ACC)
Salary/Hourly Rate: £21,840-£25,480
Hours: FT 8.45am to 4.45pm (evening & weekend work will be required)
Responsible to: Centre Manager
Start date: Immediate
Interviews: December 2020
Closing date: 31st January 2020
Role Summary and Accountabilities:
The key role of the ACC is to lead delivery of a range of activity instruction and programmes to the clients of BFA. The ACC must:
· To oversee the running of the Adventure Centre
· operate to a highly professional and safe standard (acting as an exemplar to the team of instructors)
· create a safe, enjoyable, challenging, fun and educational environment providing equal opportunities to a wide range of often challenging individuals and groups.
· ACC will be actively involved in the development of the instructor team, acting as line managers and mentors to ensure full support and development opportunities are available to all.
· To delivery training to staff
· Be effective at logistics management for large and complex programmes
· Have high standards and consistency in site and equipment upkeep including PPE, Activity, Accommodation, general site and catering provisions.
· Lead the team instructors in our programmed activities
- To lead the delivery of a range of inclusive outdoor activity programmes both on and off site
- To maintain a full understanding of BFA’s H&S policies and to understand and practice dynamic risk assessment of all activities
- To motivate & Enthuse Clients
- To set boundaries and impose consequences should they be exceeded
- To challenge and manage anti-social behaviour
- Adapt level of challenge to needs and capabilities of participants
- To meet the needs of each individual with a focus on inclusive participation
- To demonstrate a clear understanding of safeguarding and equal opportunities
- To instruct in such as manner as to be a role model for all other staff for excellent behaviour and quality of instruction
- To lead a team of instructors including Full time, part time, volunteers, work experience and freelance acting as Line manager and mentor. This includes producing rotas, managing sick and managing leave
- To manage defined areas of site/activity/equipment provision
- To ensure that all equipment is checked regularly
- To manage defined health and safety responsibilities
- To actively observe, feedback and develop the instructional delivery team
- To manage delegated activity programmes and assist with coordination of activity bookings, equipment and staff resource as required.
- To provide daily briefings to staff and coordinate the daily pack down
- To contribute towards the management and coordination of resources on a daily basis
- To advise and support the booking coordinator with new and existing bookings and enquiries
- To operate as Duty Manager on defined days
- To recruit staff as appropriate
- To operate within a budget
- Completion of all documentation relating to client groups/programmes
- Accurate submission of timesheets and monitoring of all internal communications – both personal and of staff team
- Report writing and coordination
- Completion of equipment logs and safety checks
Due to the varied and ever changing nature of operations at BF Adventure you may be required to undertake additional roles, responsibilities and tasks* as necessary to facilitate the smooth running of activities
*(within your level of experience, training and capability)
Suitable people need to be energetic and proactive and have a passion for teaching and learning in the outdoors. Being organised and have a good level of attention to detail are critical as managing staff and programmes are an essential part of the role.
Suitable people will have working relationships with delivery staff and also the senior management team and other departments within the charity and as such must be able to communicate effective with both parties.
· Wide Ranging Outdoor activity qualifications
· 5 years or more of outdoor activity and/or Youth work experience
· IT literate
· Experience in mentoring / supervision
· Experience in establishing and maintaining admin systems
· Experience within a senior role is desirable (i.e. As a trainer or programmer)
Essential Skills and Qualifications
· Hold a current, clean driving licence
· BCU Level 1 coach
· SPA / RCI
· Current First Aid
· PTTLS or teaching qualification or equivalent
· IT literate and competent in Microsoft programmes
· Organised and effective at complex programme management
· At least one other higher level or additional NGB award
· Commitment to personal development
· Anticipates, understands and responds to the needs of clients and volunteers.
· Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organisation
· Able to work effectively under pressure including the ability to prioritise own workload
· The ability and willingness to work flexible hours
· Proactive team player with excellent communications skills
· Approachable, open and flexible
· A Positive ‘Can-Do’ attitude
· Self-aware and able to reflect
· Good sense of humour
· Experience of working with Disabled individuals/groups
· Good understanding of soft skills
· Higher level coordination of an activities provision including recruitment, working with new and existing customers, product design, budgets and being forward thinking
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
· Hold a D1 entitlement on their driving licence
· A commitment and enthusiasm for the vision of The BF Adventure (Staff Success factors) and high standards of service provision.
· Develops new and innovative ways to improve operations of the organisation
· Archery GB leader
· BC trainer
· First Aid trainer and Assessor
· PPE inspection certificate
· Experience in staff training
· H&S qualifications
· Good handy man skills
· ERCA traditional / adventure park / rescuer qualifications / experience
BF Adventure is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults. We can only accept applications through our application form and the successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS check.
Please see our website https://www.bfadventure.org/about-bf-adventure/#joinus for the full job description, application form and how to apply.
Please note, we will only accept applications through this process.