Senior Outdoor Activity Instructor, Scottish Highlands or Dumfries & Galloway
Abernethy Trust, Scottish Highlands or Dumfries & Galloway
Location: Scottish Highlands or Dumfries & Galloway
Salary: incl f/b accomm
Closing date: 9/10/23
Senior Outdoor Activity Instructor with Abernethy Trust
Full time, Permanent
Salary: part of a larger package including full-board accommodation with all bills paid, pension contributions and more.
Closing date: 9th October 2023
Who we are
Founded in 1971, Abernethy is a ministry that combines outdoor activity, residential experience and Christian team witness. Adventure is at the heart of Abernethy and we love seeing people gain confidence and grow through being in the outdoors.
The team at Abernethy are all Christians. We are passionate about the outdoors, community, hospitality and witness. We are motivated by our belief in a good and generous God who created an incredible natural world which, through its very existence, shouts His praise. We believe that every person is unique, valuable and deeply loved by the creator God.
Who should apply?
We are looking for a committed Christian who is able to lead people in the outdoors. You will be working alongside our Chief Instructor to give our guests a safe, exciting and meaningful adventure programme. You will have worked in the outdoor adventure sector previously and will be passionate about the connection between outdoor learning and the journey of the Christian faith.
· To assist the Chief Instructor and deputise in their absence.
· To instruct resident groups.
· To assist the Chief Instructor with programme writing and implementation.
· To assist in leading the Abernethy Academy programme, helping to train GAP year students or trainee instructors.
· To be involved in the development of new and existing activities.
· To be involved in the training of guests and instructors
· To contribute to the development of various programmes offered by the Centre, including the John Muir Award and DofE programmes. To ensure that continuity of the Centre’s spiritual programme is maintained while a group is taking part in activity programmes.
· To ensure that proper and safe procedures are operating in the activity programmes offered. To assist in providing in-house training as required and make recommendations to the Chief Instructor for training to be included in the Centre training plan.
· You will ensure that evidence of current experience and competence in outdoor activities is recorded in an up to date logbook and will oversee the keeping of logbooks by other instructors.
· To supervise and assist with the maintenance of outdoor education equipment and inventory. To recommend appropriate outdoor activity purchases or replacements and, once recommendations are approved by the Chief Instructor, place orders within the agreed budget.
· To keep up to date with current developments in outdoor education and liaise with professional bodies.
· Minimum qualifications: RCI, ML(Summer), Canoe Leader, MBLA2, D1, First Aid, Duke of Edinburgh Assessor. You do not need to have all of these, but a combination of several will be expected.
· D1 Qualification on your driving license
Good to know
· It is a Genuine Occupational Requirement that the holder of this post is a practising Christian whose lifestyle is consistent with the values and doctrine of the Christian faith
· As part of our commitment to safeguarding, the successful applicant will be required to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Scheme and the appointment will be subject to a satisfactory PVG Scheme Disclosure as well as satisfactory references from two referees
· Monthly salary*
· Full-board accommodation in a shared house provided, if required
· Paid annual leave (30 days per annum, inclusive of bank holidays)
· Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment.
· Opportunities to take an active role within the life of our local church and Christian youth work
· Living as part of a vibrant Christian community in a beautiful part of Scotland
· Opportunity for personal training and development
· Weekly Team Fellowship on a Wednesday evening
· Very favourable rates for family on most Abernethy holidays and camps
· Participation in our annual 3 day Team Gathering
*Remunerations at Abernethy are part of a bigger package of living as part of a Christian Community, including housing with all associated costs and full board. Please contact us if you have further questions about this.
For an informal chat about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will be in touch. If you feel you are the person we are looking for, visit our website and complete the on-line application form. For further information call 01479 818 005.
We offer an immediate start for the right candidate so we look forward to hearing from you soon.