Covid-19: The huge impact on residential outdoor centres
There are some sobering stats on how this has affected the economics of our industry.
- 2/3 of the sector expect to lose at least 80% of their income this year.
- 1/3 of centres have disposed of assests
- 2/3 of centres have mothballed facilities
- 81% have furloughed workers
- 50% have cut staff wages
- 70% have made up to 20% of their workforce redundant
Tim Farron, MP says, "Our outdoor education centres are needed now more than ever. They can play a big role in restoring children's love of learning and be really beneficial for both their physical and mental health. It's surely a no brainer for the Government to #SaveOutdoorEd".
BBC North West news featured an item about the plight of a Cumbrian centre. See the feature here.