The Department of Business Industry and Skills (BIS) has given permission to create a new Employer Led Trailblazer Apprenticeship for the outdoor sector.
This IOL page is for the Employer-Led group to share key background details and development papers. Their intent is to develop apprenticeships that:
- Will be appropriate for the full range of job specialisms making up the Outdoor Sector.
- Will meet the needs of the full range of delivery models in the sector.
- Will be appropriate for employees working in Outdoor Education; Recreation; Adventure; Tourism and any other aspects.
- Will be based heavily on current known and valued in-sector training and assessment courses.
Latest Consultation Documents December 2016
At this stage of the project the employer group would like to test their thinking to date and seek your input so they can fine tune the standard before submission to BIS early in 2017. Please read the latest version of the proposed Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer Apprenticeship Standard and give your comments via the online survey.
Join the Working Group, Virtual Group or Email Group
To contribute to the shaping of the standards and assessment standards or be kept up to date with progress, you are invited to join one of our three project groups. View list of current group members.
- To physically meet to design the required standards and assessment model
- To be kept up-to-speed on developments and periodically be asked to contribute their view via on-line consultations
- To follow progress without needing to be actively involved
Meeting & Consultation Dates
- To ADD, CHANGE OR REMOVE your name from a group please email Louise at IOL.
- WORKING GROUP - October 4th - @PGL, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire
- OPEN CONSULTATION - October 13/14 - @IOL National Conference - Stone, Staffordshire
- WORKING GROUP - October 18th - @Kendal College, Cumbria
- VIRTUAL GROUP + WORKING GROUP - 28 October 2016 - Receive documents for comment
- WORKING GROUP - 3 November 2016, 5-6 - Online GoToMeeting
- WORKING GROUP - 10 November 2016, 10-3 - @JCA Condover Hall, Shropshire
- VIRTUAL GROUP + WORKING GROUP - 2 December 2016 - Receive documents for comment
- WORKING GROUP - 8 December 2016, 10.00-11.00 - Online GoToMeeting
Tuesday 10th January
Venue: Kingswood, Doncaster
Times: 10:00 - 15:00
Purpose: Finalise "Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer” standard ready for formal submission to BIS. Discuss the "Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer” Assessment plan. Overview of the "Outdoor Learning Programme Deliverer” standard.
Friday 27th January
Venue: Goto Meeting - SIGN IN CODE 119-894-925 - https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/119894925
Times: 10:00 - 11:00
Purpose: Get comments from group members on the latest "Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer” Assessment Plan. There is no formal presentation or structure to this meeting - just join us and share your comments.
Wednesday 15th February
Venue: TBA (offers welcome at the 10th Jan meeting)
Times: 10:00 - 15:00
Purpose: Complete "Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer” Assessment Plan ready for discussion with BIS. Discuss the "Outdoor Learning Programme Deliverer” standard.
Apprenticeships - Background and context
Applying to BIS for Trailblazer status
Trailblazer group and sector up-dates
What is the relationship between IOL and the Employer Led Apprenticeship?
IOL as the professional body in the sector are working in partnership the employerled initiative. The Employer Group has asked Neal Anderson from IOL to take a project management role in helping that group consult and produce its standards, assessment thinking and governance thoughts for submission to BIS. The Institute will use the apprenticeship standards developed by employers to inform an update and revision of some of our professional standards.
Find out more about the IOL Professional Standards update here
How can I get involved in the Employer Led Apprenticeship Development?
If you are an employer and would like further information or to chat about the opportunity to get involved please contact:
Employer Led Trailblazer Chair
PGL. Manager – HR External Partnerships.
Mobile: 07977 987712
Office switchboard: 0333 321 2100 - Email
How can I get involved in the IOL Professional Standards Development?
You can follow progress on the IOL website or get in touch with Neal directly to discuss your thoughts and comments:
IOL Professional Standards Manager
Mobile: 07899 856518 - Email