‘We are here to Support, Develop, Promote & Sustain Outdoor Learning in the East Region’
The minutes from the AGM are now on the IOL Members Documents page HERE
My aim is to really get the IOL in the East onto a new track. One of the first things that I have done has been to implement a Mission Statement which reads, ‘We are here to Support, Develop, Promote & Sustain Outdoor Learning in the East Region’
This Mission Statement I hope helps to foster the ethos of the IOL in general and should guide our regional team. Alongside this I already have in my mind a number of aspirations including:
1. Developing a 3 year plan
a. From this creating an annual operational plan for the East Team
2. Re-structure how our East Team meetings work so that more IOL members might attend.
3. Find ways of making the IOL more well known in the East, and hopefully increasing our membership base.
4. The creation of a regional Newsletter, which will go out every academic term (so 3 per year).
5. Promote the SIG’s to organisation in the East (I think that the SIG’s are major selling point of the IOL and we should embrace them)
6. Learn from our neighbouring regions and develop our own unique activities.
I would very much welcome any Outdoor Practitioners in the East Region to contact me regarding joining the IOL and potentially being part of our East Team.
BOOKINGS OPEN NOW
- South Ockendon: Tuesday 21st May 2013 at Grangewaters OEC
- Fee: £60 per person. IOL East are offering this first EOL event in their region at this subsidised fee. The usual fee is £95 per person. The fee includes one year Concessionary IOL Membership for all Teachers and those who are helping to deliver the curriculum. Download the brochure HERE.
- HOW TO BOOK - Contact Alice at IOL
- For all the info CLICK HERE
IOL East Region Conference (including the IOL National AGM 2012)
Outdoor Learning - making a difference
IOL East conference Saturday 3rd March at Pinewood School, Herts. This event saw 30 people gather for a large range of activities, we had Keynote presentations from Mark Newey about Life Coaching and from Paskall Blackwell from the Lee Valley centre about the Olympic white water course just down the road.
Outside, key events included African Drumming in the Yurt, an introduction to the Environment cards, GPS orienteering, friction fire lighting and much more, what’s more the sun was shining. The East committee have already started to think about the 2013 conference and a programme of events through the year, but if you are in the East region and have some ideas of things you would like to see in the program or at the conference please get in touch. Many thanks to Pinewood school for making us feel so welcome.
- Saturday 19th March 2011 at Hallowtree Scout Centre, Ipswich (Cost £15 IOL Members, £20 non members)
- Keynote: Danny Golding ‘On Thin Ice: A Journey Across Greenland’
- Workshops included: - Challenging Behaviour - Communication While Having Special Needs - Urban Based Adventure - Outdoor Survival - Outdoor Learning Cards - Doing Your DofE Award Through The Outdoors - Outdoor Therapy - Outdoor Learning in the Secondary School Curriculum - Leave No Trace
- - AGM & Election of New East Region Committee (see right panel) To download a copy of the minutes from the AGM you will need to log in as a member and go to this page.
- The committee both new and old would like to make special thanks to the following, the Scouts for providing the food, the providers for the different workshops of the conference and all members of the Executive committee for the support in getting the Eastern region conference running.
- IOL Visits The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Special Educational Needs Conference: MK Dons Stadium, Milton Keynes. DofE’s East Region recently organised a conference with a difference. The focus was on delivering the programme to young people with special educational needs. Members of the IOL East committee helped to deliver the day, and availed of the opportunity to market IOL at the conference’s ‘market place’. Many leaders and interested parties attended from as far away as the Orkney Islands so we had a very wide captive audience. It was fantastic to see how IOL’s ethos and accreditation framework resonated with many of the delegates. It was a wonderful confirmation of the many aspects of outdoor learning. The conference was a big success on many fronts, and we greatly appreciated being able to advertise the work and ethos of IOL. The venue was a delight. Thanks to Anne Newcombe, DofE East Director, for inviting us.
- IOL Accreditations Information Evening: Hertfordshire Outdoors. The East Region’s PDC recently got together with Herts Outdoors to run a local IOL accreditations info evening. Held at Herts Young Mariners Base in Cheshunt, the event attracted practitioners at various stages of their careers from around Hertfordshire. There was a general presentation of the accreditation framework followed by a discussion especially around RPIOL and APIOL, what the accreditations mean, how to become involved, and the benefits of holding a qualification. It was good to have APIOL holders present to share their perspectives on actually embarking and going through the process, and finally being assessed. We discussed how practitioners progress through the accreditation framework, and then how many want to ‘put something back’ and go on to become mentors, assessors and RPIOL internal facilitators. The hope is that such an information evening will encourage outdoor practitioners to reflect on their practice and perhaps embark on the IOL accreditation process. It was an enjoyable and informative evening, and one way to share locally what IOL has to offer. It is hoped that East region will hold similar info evenings in the future.
Bettina Maccariello, PDC East
If you have any thoughts about IOL in the East etc, please do email Bettina . All input is gratefully appreciated. I would also be very grateful if you could pass this information to your friends and colleagues. We hope to put it on the IOL website.
Looking forward to seeing you at either one or both of the events.
Vital information on Insurance for all IOL Events
East region AGM minutes - 20.1.2010
East region meeting minutes - 5.5.2010
Here we have information for and pertaining to our England East Region.
If you have any info that could be included here please email details
« top »