Find out about the new FSA HERE
- IOL Forest School SIG AGM 17th November in Birmingham. The IOL Forest School SIG executive invite you to attend the SIG’s AGM. This will be held at Carrs Lane Church Centre, Birmingham from 10.30 - 12.30 on Saturday 17th November. The centre is close to Birmingham New Street Station.
Please note that all members of the current executive intend to step down at the AGM as they are playing significant roles with the newly formed Forest School Association. If SIG members wish the SIG to continue then a new executive will need to be appointed at the AGM. If no new executive is appointed at the AGM, the IOL trustees will consider dissolution of the SIG at their next meeting.
In addition to a new executive, the SIG will need to review its aims in the light of the establishment of the Forest School Association. A representative of the IOL trustees will attend the meeting. If you wish to explore this further please contact Andy Robinson or call the IOL office on 01228 564580.
Agenda for the AGM: 1. Chair’s Report 2. Treasurer’s report 3. Report from the Forest School Association 4. SIG Executive 5. Future of the SIG 6. A.O.B.
- Forest play aids nursery children's mediation skills. A trial of outdoor learning in the woods designed to promote independent play in nursery children led to them learning to solve disputes themselves.For the full BBC Web news report see HERE.
Among first feedback via Twitter (IOLOutdoorProfs) Thank you to all the delegates that completed the online survey. We will make a draw from those who entered the accompanying draw for a copy of The Outdoor Classroom and let the winner know.
- Thanks for great conference today. Much enjoyed, great company, informative workshops...decent weather!
- fab day, thanks to all at conference
- Fabulous day conference. :)
- Enjoyed the Forest School conference, inspiring presentations and excellent workshops; particularly the challenging behavioural and potential of a stick was so much fun - thank you.
Click on the brochure image above for a PDF of the brochure and full info on workshops.
2011 IOL Forest School Conference took place on 8th October at Liddington Hall, Swindon.
Forest Schools is an inspirational process, that offers children and young people opportunities to achieve, develop confidence and self-esteem, through hands on learning experiences in a local woodland environment.This is achieved through the following principles:
- Forest School is for all children and young people.
- Forest School builds on a child’s innate motivation and positive attitude to learning, offering them the opportunities to take risks, make choices and initiate learning for themselves.
- Forest School is organised and run by qualified Forest School leaders.
- Forest School maximises the learning potential of local woodland through frequent and regular experiences throughout the year, not a one-off visit.
- Forest School helps children to understand, appreciate and care for the natural environment.
Forest School SIG cost per IOL membership year is just £6 (supplemental to your IOL membership fee)
The Institute website has a members only section for its SIGs - once you are a FSSIG member you will be able to access this area.
- You can be a member of more than one SIG.
- You must be a current IOL member to join any of the IOL Special Interest Groups.
- For information on how to become involved in FSSIG contact Louise at IOL